Ideal Tire Pressure - Tire Temps

Timeerror

Hi,

Maybe someone knows this:

What is the ideal tire pressure for the Hypercars, LMP2 and the GTEs - try and wet?
What is the min/max tire temp for these cars - try and wet?

Any ideas? - Are tire pressures and temps etc very important for LMU?

Hi,

Maybe someone knows this:

What is the ideal tire pressure for the Hypercars, LMP2 and the GTEs - try and wet?
What is the min/max tire temp for these cars - try and wet?

Any ideas? - Are tire pressures and temps etc very important for LMU?
Tire temperature is, you can see the ideal temperature on the tyre page.
1708541794062.png

You are coming at this from an ACC mindset I think. For sims based upon rF2, like Le Mans Ultimate, there should not be a fixed number you want to achieve.(like was so common for years with ACC) You can probably find a temperature that works well in most situations but there never will be the magic 27 like in ACC. But as you can see in the UI posted above, there is a suggestion of where you should be aiming for.

You are coming at this from an ACC mindset I think. For sims based upon rF2, like Le Mans Ultimate, there should not be a fixed number you want to achieve.(like was so common for years with ACC) You can probably find a temperature that works well in most situations but there never will be the magic 27 like in ACC. But as you can see in the UI posted above, there is a suggestion of where you should be aiming for.
Yes you are right; ACC is in my mind...

In the past i learned that every tire compound has an optimal pressure and temp window, maybe not as narrow as in ACC. But SOME sort of target pressure must be there or can i just drive the lowest and highest depending on track?

The wear is all around the same? ;-)
Same question. Typo?

Also regarding the pressures (long-time ACC player too), I did run some tests and from what I gathered, 200 kPA seems to be the margin where the tires slide around a lot. Anything between 170 and 190 seem fine, but the nerd inside me wants to know more. S397's Aris Vasilakos where are you! 🤓

found this

1.9 bar is optimum

michelin had a sheet for the race tires, but it seems to be gone or i am to dumb to find it

maybe another interesting read about michelin tires for aris .. oh wait ;) camber and pressure belongs together

Last edited:
Okay Tyre Temps and Pressures...checked...but how can i reach them?

Sunny day in Portimao in the HY Porsche and not going over 150 pressure and 58° Temp

Sunny day in Portimao in the HY Porsche and not going over 150 pressure and 58° Temp
basic setup knowledge would say:
1) reduce brake duct inlet
2) more mechanical grip --> softer suspension
3) reduce TC values a bit

whether these will help you in-game is a matter of testing it. you're gonna have to push the car though, which is the biggest challenge

Depends what tyre it is, the softs have a carcass ideal range of 54 to 93, ambient range for those is 0C to 15C anything above 15 and your going to mediums

The wear is all around the same? ;-)
I was wondering if this might change on longer sessions if you gave it more data. Either that or maybe this part of the UI is unfinished. Because also we're not actually using 10% a lap.

At the moment anything other than minimum pressure using soft on lowest camber possible is the meta and anything else a waste, looks to be a rF2 tyre model thingy. There is a need to ensure the tyre model makes more sense, otherwise it renders a full page of the setup screen useless and remove any sort of decision making in regards to tyre management.

To anyone who is interested in the physics of their tyres: the shared memory, used by SimHub for instance and the DAMPlugin, used by the Motec tool, both get the Tyre temperature data of three parts of the Tyre. Carcass; important for the damping and stiffness characteristics of the entire Tyre, rubber temp; the core temperature of the Tyre rubber on the contact patch and the surface temperature of the contact patch. The last one is observed with IR sensors IRL and can be seen in the MFD as a graphical representation. The graphic that becomes red if you lock up for instance. The rubber temp, just under the surface of the contact patch is the temperature that is most important. It tells you something about the stickiness of the rubber, how much it will deform etc. It is much more stable that the surface temperature but less so than carcass temps.
You will find that typically you will be able to get the carcass and rubber temps to around 80 degrees within a lap or three even on a cold, 11 degrees, Spa circuit.
As for the pressures. Michelin publishes directives before each race as to the minimum Tyre pressures and camber settings. The minimum pressures are never below 1.8 bar or 180 PSI. At the moment we cannot simulate that in LMU because the sliders do not go above 170 PSI for HY. The Tyre model LMU uses probably has another optimum pressure window than the tyres IRL. Not an issue but something for them, or us, to find out.
Below the advised pressures and camber for the HY and LMP2 in 2023 as advised by FIA, Michelin and Goodyear. Notation is F/R top one is pressure, bottom one is camber.
Spa
HY. LMP2:
1.8/1.9 1.95/1.95
-3/-2.3. -2.4/-1.4
Le Mans
2.0/2.0. 1.95/1.95
-2.7/-2. -2.2/-1.3
Monza
1.8/1.9 1.9/1.9
-3/-2.3. -2.4/-1.4

The LMP2 cars use Goodyear tyres instead of the Michelins of the HY and GTE class. LMU has been working with Goodyear in the past 2 years to build their Tyre models. The GTE Tyre is again a different Tyre as the HY Tyre I believe and the LMH and LMdH cars also use diffent sizes at the front. I’m not sure if this is simulated though. A narrower Tyre will have impact on understeer and braking characteristics and even steering feel.

Last edited:
Nice addition. So which output data in sumhub should be used for the displayed value in the mfd?

I’m not sure if this is simulated though.
From my testing, clearly not. Any attempt to replicate those advised values will result in worse behavior than default setup and even more difficulty to get any sort of meaningful temperature into your tyres.

Back