NEW / Fresh HYPERCAR Beginner Guide for Le Mans Ultimate by Alex Kay

What is needed as well is PDFs
Boggles me, surely there are gifted people out there could do this for S397.
Free LMU + 2024 + credits

I found this guide very helpful. i guess not that otherones are bad but more complicated and this shows you more then basics and how to survive the race and you can pretty fast start to race… i also believe that watching the guide from Michi after this will be better to understand. i mean hypercars are pretty complicated and there is very much tactic involved as i can see and not just „engine on, clutch, 1st gear, lets go…“ :D

I really should start driving hypercars, but at the risk of sounding like an idiot, what doesn't encourage me to use them is that I understand absolutely nothing about the functioning and use of virtual energy 🤔
Just managing the amount of virtual energy and fuel before a session is a headache for me 🤣😂
In my opinion it should simplify things or offer 2 modes for hypercars, a first expert mode as it currently is and a second simplified or even automatic mode of hybridization management😁
So yes it's a simulation, but above all it's a game and the primary goal is to have fun not to tie knots in the brain, and above all IRL the pilots have an army of engineers to tell them in time real how to use regeneration which obviously does not apply to our case 😉

I really should start driving hypercars, but at the risk of sounding like an idiot, what doesn't encourage me to use them is that I understand absolutely nothing about the functioning and use of virtual energy 🤔
Just managing the amount of virtual energy and fuel before a session is a headache for me 🤣😂
In my opinion it should simplify things or offer 2 modes for hypercars, a first expert mode as it currently is and a second simplified or even automatic mode of hybridization management😁
So yes it's a simulation, but above all it's a game and the primary goal is to have fun not to tie knots in the brain, and above all IRL the pilots have an army of engineers to tell them in time real how to use regeneration which obviously does not apply to our case 😉
I agree with your comment that this is a game above else. I'm completely new to sim racing but have played tons of racing games since I was young. Sim racing is nothing like racing games. Since this is a pretty serious sim, I would appreciate some kind of tutorials in the game itself to teach players like me. I steer away from hypercar races because I don't understand them properly but also because I'm working up from GTE class. The developers did state this is a sim that they wanted to be accessible to new and experienced players alike, so hopefully tutorials will be added in the future. GTR2 has a fantastic sim racing school, and the original Grid from 2008 has short videos giving explanations of the different types of races. Hopefully LMU incorporates something similar.

@RhinomanWC

Well, it's rather simple once you know what's going on, at the same time some things are intentionally obtuse already in real WEC. Main reason for this is that they wish to advertise hybrid power, while hiding the fact that these cars still burn a ton of fuel. System is also pretty intuitive, so the best way to learn it is just to hop in the cars and start driving.

Fuel and Virtual Energy

Prototype Cars are driven with fuel, and electricity generated through braking (in cars that have it). Then there's also Virtual Energy, measured in percentages. VE is there for above-mentioned hybrid advertisement. It's also used for BoP (balance of performance - the thing that they use to 'fix' races in real life). It's combination of fuel and electricity use, and plays a role in how soon cars need to pit, since there is a penalty for reaching 0%. It has no effect at all on weight, speed, and has a very small effect on pit times. Watching WEC races, you'd think that cars are recharging batteries while they're in the pits, this is not the case. As soon as car enters pits and stops, VE goes to 100% whether any fuel is added or not. Cars can only tank fuel when they are in the pits. In fact, Glickenhouse and Vanwall, both only use fuel, but still rely on VE.

During quick races. Don't bother at all with Virtual Energy. Always start with 100%, and just use "Fuel Ratio" in "Powertrain" part of "Advanced Setup" to adjust starting fuel. Value goes from 0.05 to some 1.10. At 100% VE, 0.05 will be 5 litres fuel, 1.10 will be 110l fuel.

Hybrid Power and Electricity

Important car options. Both can be changed in the in car menu while driving. I'd advise mapping Motor Map keys to the wheel.
"Increment Motor Map"
"Decrement Motor Map" These two affect the amount of electricity that is deployed. It often needs to be tweaked during races.
"Increment Regeneration"
"Decrement Regeneration" These two affect the amount of electricity that is generated. It should never be set to zero.

All Hybrids (that is, everyone except Glickenhouse and Vanwall) start full charged with electricity. The way electrical use is simulated in this game is that it has no effect at all on top speed of cars. Whether electrical engine is set to zero or max power, top speed and acceleration will always be the same. The only difference will be in fuel consumption. This is the way WEC wants it, but how it really works, is really hard to say, as these systems are very complex in real life. Traction is a different story, but I have no precise knowledge on how this part is simulated in this game. I'll get back to traction.

Electricity is saving a bit of fuel, but Virtual Energy system is in place so that Hybrids that generate more electricity aren't at an advantage as far as frequency of pit stops are concerned. The primary advantage of more fuel efficient Hybrids, is that they can start with less fuel, and can spend less time tanking fuel per stint, so it's still important to utilise Electrical power.

Generating Electricity

All hybrids generate electricity by braking. Energy recuperation systems are situated on the front wheels, and in real life effect braking performance somewhat. A part of this is simulated in the game, and you can see that various Hybrids are driving very back heavy braking biases. The amount of electricity generated can be adjusted with "Increment/Decrement Regeneration". All hybrids start with this setting at max of 200kw, but slightly lower settings may improve braking performance. I haven't tested this extensively, and I'm not sure if it's worth doing this, since it means lower energy recuperation. It should never be turned completely off or to very low values, since this will mean that front brakes will be doing more work than they were designed for, and will overheat quickly.

What is even more important, when car battery is full at 100%, energy recuperation will not work. This will throw braking balance off, cause longer braking distances and cause spins. So make sure that you're never at 100%, and that you drive carefully during the initial laps.

Deploying Electricity

The way electrical power is deployed is different from brand to brand. Porsche and Cadillac use same system. Energy can be deployed any time to the rear wheels, but the amount of deployment is smaller than other brands. Toyota, Ferrari and Peugeot deploy electrical energy to the front wheels, effectively making them AWD, but this deployment can only happen at higher speeds, 150kmh for Peugeot and 190kmh for Toyota and Ferrari (this is regulated by BoP, irl). In theory, this should improve traction for all these cars in very high speed corners, but I'm really not sure to which extent is this simulated in this game. If it's simulated well, then care should be taken that energy never falls to 0% for the fast corners, and that energy deployment isn't turned off or low for fast corners as well.

Energy deployment is controlled with "Increment/Decrement Motor Map" options. It can be adjusted while driving via menu, or with bound keys. Care should be taken that batteries are never fully charged, and never fully depleted, so adjust this setting often. There's usually enough time on the straights to check usage and make small adjustments.

Other and Various Quirks

- Porsche and Cadillac only use electricity while in the pits. Make sure that you have batteries somewhat full when entering pits, or you will not be able to drive away. Hilariously, it's also possible to drain battery while spinning wheels while car is raised in the pits.
- For example of the real 2024 Hybrid power distribution, you can look at this BoP pdf from FIA for Qatar race. Electrical power deployment speed for Ferrari, Peugeot and Toyota remain the same. Maximum Stint Energy is Virtual Energy per stint: https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/wec_2024_d21_hypercar_bop_16022024.pdf

Last edited:
@MiskoRacing

Thanks for this guide, I'll need to go through it properly to understand it correctly. Thanks for taking the time to explain this. After watching some videos about the Hypercars I ended up being more confused than anything, perhaps they didn't explain things as well as you did. Thanks again!

There are Hybrid 'looking' cars in rF2 and AC. If figuring out the Hybrid tech in LMU is not your thing, then AC or rF2 already have cars that look like hybrids but drive like normal vehicles.

Back