Online subscriptions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be, why not? What Is LeMans Ultimate promoting as a game?
I suspect that's not how the licensing works, but I don't know either.

People seem eager to pore over meeting transcripts and reporting documents, so it shouldn't take long to verify.

I can´t say what or how they dealt their licensing, or what negotiations they have going on. I am no one to know that. But I bet that since LMU was released, WEC has had more searches on YT, and more online subscriptions then before LMU´s release, because sponsorship/marketing Is about getting that exposure to a wider public.

In the case I talked about before with the Rolling Stones, we had two nights with 55,000 people each night of the show who saw the main sponsor on the big screens among other strategic locations of the venue.

So, If we go back to the LMU example, we have 90.1k people who bought the game, plus all the content creators who upload videos on YT, add to that all the press and mouth to mouth that spreads, forums, Discord, Twitch, all the social media, and what have you all exposing LMU/WEC and all the rest of branding In game. Well you get the Idea, and some would even let you use their branding free just to get all that exposure for free to the mases.

I myself am more Interested In WEC then I was before LMU, and even watch more WEC videos on YT. I would even buy a Porsche If I had 250,000€! Again, you get the Idea.

Oh and there´s nothing wrong with sponsorship, so It´s not like I am trying to bash the team, just saying that It´s something being used every day. But again, I can´t say what their Intentions are, or who paid what.

On the other hand, bear in mind that those 2.6 million probably barely cover the wages over 2years.
Could be, but that´s not the end users problem to solve. I wish I got paid more, and my rent and general life was cheaper to get by, but It Isn't. My boss has 2 Porsches and a Lambo and probably a much better and bigger house. Life Is not even Is It?

I was just putting things in perspective, what might seem a lot in a lump sum is actually not that much, and might not even be a profit in the end. Obviously, financing is their problem to solve, and hopefully they do solve it, either by increasing/maintaining sales numbers, or by finding some other constant revenue stream, be it even some form of subscription (fingers crossed it's not iracing like....)

Last edited:
Feels like we are going in circles. First changes made when S397 took over eight years ago were removal of paid yearly online subscription from rF2 and the addition of VR support. Now we have the opposite.

What is more than clear is that 2 or 3 million euros in Early Access will never be enough to turn the numbers for all of MSG positive. Ruin comes for other reasons, I suppose... LMU can't generate income on its own?
On the other hand, we talk about what has emerged after an interview on the subject. As for me, I come and read the forum and participate, everything is written down and we see in some way how the community breathes. Then that bothers the moderators, who will have their point of view and pressure. In Discord they temporarily separate you, that's what we have, despite having supported the company every time they have asked for it, rFactor2 DLCs, online beta system, LMU in the state that is simply being an rFactor2 with reshader and hidden aids. In my case, in the last 2 years I have only spent about $300 on Studio 397 and I am still not sure if the games continue or if they are left abandoned watching them die.
In the Discord the DEVS are concerned about evolving the sensations with the control and going so far as to screw up the forcefeedback of all the cars because of it. If we have a lot of patience, there are plenty of threats and outbursts for talking about it...
And when they come to try to convince you that such a thing does nothing, that line was removed because it had no effect, it is okay to recognize that certain implementations cause problems with certain bases or go wrong, but it is not going to be fixed by hiding the line or removing keybindings, we only ask not so many crude deceptions and more seriousness and transparency. It is not so difficult. In short, a broken phone.

Feels like we are going in circles. First changes made when S397 took over eight years ago were removal of paid yearly online subscription from rF2 and the addition of VR support. Now we have the opposite.

The online sub disappeared way before S397 took over development. At that point people didn't want to pay £15 (or so) A YEAR to access the matchmaking service.

Last edited:
The online sub disappeared way before S397 took over development. At that point people didn't want to pay £15 (or so) A YEAR to access the matchmaking service.
It did not. From S397 December 2016 roadmap:
We understand that online racing is key to the future of the platform. As online racers ourselves, we have decided to provide online access for everybody with the Steam version for free – simplifying the pricing model and encouraging everybody to race online. Steam will take care of automated updates. We recognise that some of you have made this purchase over the past few months, and it was a difficult decision. However, we’re positive that you’ll agree we’ve made the right decision for the future of the platform.

I'd advice you to read the latest article at RaceDepartment for planned online subscriptions.

I particularly love the following sentence:

"We believe", but we're not sure yet.

Also IMO with those plans laid out you can completely forget about a release of a dedicated server programs.
This clearly shows they want to milk multiplayer as much as possible. Like they're dreaming about iRacing model in the end (which IMO won't be possible, but it doesn't mean they won't tr

1716282112672.png

Still in Early Access but yet are already planning to nickle and dime the users

This game isn't even fully out yet and we're already talking about paid updates in a few months, subscription services and what not.

Then you have numbers like this in steam.. I had more customers come into my work yesterday than LMU has had playing in a 24 hour peak

Still none of the features we've been requesting either. TrackIR? VR? Nope.. Car damage? Replay?

1716282339925.png

Compered to other more established online racing, It´s even more Interesting to see the results!
2024-05-22 15_26_35-Greenshot.png

More customers at you´re work you say...
Where do you work, at McDonalds?

Seriously, don´t you read the forum, can´t you see that´s It´s been In EA for just three months? And that there´s a update due In June?

Nobody has yet confirmed any paid subscription Implementation so far, so none of us can give that possibility any argument till we have confirmation from MSG that It´s going to be a thing.

They are not making fast food here, their making a serious racing simulator, and as ALL serious simulators available out there, the will add, fix, and update as they go forward. Or do you want to talk about ALL the well established simulators that are still WIP after all these years?

Give me a break...

Last edited:
To be fair, those are only those accessing it via Steam, but it's not a Steam exclusive title like LMU is, so you can't really compare, since most would be accessing it directly via its own client, and there are some on other Steam-like platforms.

Where do you work, at McDonalds?
While trying to shame someone...
Compered to other more established online racing, It´s even more Interesting to see the results!
...you only made a fool of yourself by showing that graph (for reasons already mentioned here by @TheRog10 and @Emilian Huminiuc).

EDIT: I don't play iRacing but apparently you can check the number of players in their UI:

"Steam Charts currently says there are 203 people online. My iRacing UI says there are currently 11,068 online."

Which means that the actual number is like 2 order of magnitude higher than in Steam charts.

"We estimate that iRacing has currently approximately 8.8k players daily."

Last edited:
I'd say something but honestly what else can I say that hasn't been said previously. Instead I'll just sit here and chuckle. I hope your day gets slightly better.

and btw no, I don't work at McDonalds

Oh yeah, It´s better that they shame those who believe on a products outcome and believe those that have little to no Idea how simulation development Is In 90% of the simulators out there.

No I don´t believe In those numbers, but he does!

Now educate me more since I am a fool according to you @Havner...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back