Online subscriptions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont believe someone will get a refund just because he is not a clean driver?
Anyway i have also read this story and as already said on the previous thread: i will pay for 2024 season cars and more tracks but the subscription model is the reason why i dont play and will not try iRacing. Here will be the same - i will pay for a dlc but not a monthly fee for a game.
I'm with you, I'm happy to pay for DLC but not a subscription model. Having said that, Woodee makes a good point about nothing being confirmed and also the operational costs of race control. Let's wait and see, best to work with confirmed information instead of guesses.

Bare in mind....

Nothing has been officially confirmed about the pricing model going forward. The rest is speculation and jumping to wild conspiracies that don't exist. It's not cheap to keep the Race Control system running so it has to be subsidised some how.
In this day and age an investor call podcast is to be treated the same way as a presser|press briefing/conference.
In other words, it is as official as it gets, the cat and Pandora are out of the box.

In this day and age an investor call podcast is to be treated the same way as a presser|press briefing/conference.
In other words, it is as official as it gets, the cat and Pandora are out of the box.
The only difference in this day and age is people have more access to stuff to then complain about before it's official. There's been no announcement, so while people might want to express their opinions on what they think of subscriptions, they aren't actually able to judge what LMU is going to do until we find out what that is.

What I mean is that all the simulators, ACC, AC, AMS2, RRRE, and others, all offer Offline play and a basic, minimalist Online part. Apart from iRacing which only offers subscription. Anything you buy on iRacing cannot be used when your subscription expires.
From this point of view, LMU would give you a basic package in line with all the others, and in addition, but only if you want to pay, other paid content, about which nothing precise is yet known. What is the problem? If the offer were valid I imagine we would gladly pay, on the contrary we will still have nothing less than the other Sims.
Obviously if they want to sell something, it will have to be quality.

Bare in mind....

Nothing has been officially confirmed about the pricing model going forward. The rest is speculation and jumping to wild conspiracies that don't exist. It's not cheap to keep the Race Control system running so it has to be subsidised some how.
Oh man, I'm so sorry about that! Of course, we now urgently need to help maintain a system that nobody asked for and that is used by - hundreds!" 😁

Seriously thats silly. Servers are getting cheaper and cheaper, infrastructure maintenance can be outsourced into AWS or such. ACC CP Servers anyone? Its free and works 99% of the time ;)
And there are some free systems as well, build by fans - LFM? Pitskill? Donations.

MSG guys must be joking with those plans. If i want to pay for online racing subscription, will i do that with iracing for sure. If this "game" isn't enough to maintain some basic servers, I'm very sorry, but that doesn't make me believe in the future of MSG.
Sell me DLC. Or - if you absolutely have to let us pay - first DELIVER a decent experience which make me wish to participate. What I've seen so far is rather not like that.

btw: that interview is in the open, so its more or less official- or next time he better should STFU

Last edited by a moderator:
btw: that interview is in the open, so its more or less official- or next time he better should STFU

I don't think is very appropriate.

What I was saying was servers have RUNNING costs. Buying DLC is a one time purchase and those funds run out. Having a sub to maintain the server you use? I don't think that is controversial.

What I mean is that is not official because a pricing plan and how it's applied hasn't been announced. We don't know a price, we don't know what features you will get for the added price. That is what I meant by not official.

Stephen Hood just stated quite vague plans... nothing announced on how it will apply going forward.

I can't see the drama, regarding DLC, they always have a cost, luckily they will show some respect to those who invested in the EA with some discount. For the subscription, it's is nothing that iRacing hasn't proved to be working, so why not? The game is good, if the platform will be worth l, people will be ok

I’m trying to understand how Kunos, also a very small team, can do all this for free, yet MSG/Studio 397 can’t? WEC still like to charge to watch the races live as opposed to SRO who dish out everything for free and look where that’s got them and Kunos… Maybe WEC/ACO have a say in this?

I hope I’m wrong but this could be the death of LMU. Yes it could go either way I suppose but you better make sure the game itself and servers are in a state that charging is at least worth it for those that want to.

And I agree with what Wolke said… maybe not so crudely, but Stephen Hood would’ve been best served keeping his mouth closed until concrete plans were in place.

I’m trying to understand how Kunos, also a very small team, can do all this for free, yet MSG/Studio 397 can’t? WEC still like to charge to watch the races live as opposed to SRO who dish out everything for free and look where that’s got them and Kunos… Maybe WEC/ACO have a say in this?

I hope I’m wrong but this could be the death of LMU. Yes it could go either way I suppose but you better make sure the game itself and servers are in a state that charging is at least worth it for those that want to.

And I agree with what Wolke said… maybe not so crudely, but Stephen Hood would’ve been best served keeping his mouth closed until concrete plans were in place.
I'm sure the investors would love the CEO to address the money flow issues by saying they'll do something to raise money, while not actually mentioning anything that might raise more money. Great for confidence, for the people (current and future) who help pay for ongoing survival of the company.

We users aren't the only ones in the picture here, unless we want to spend enough that they don't need any more investors. Seems unlikely based on this thread.

Also when you get disconnected or people disappear from the grid at the start? Or when setup changes randomly? Or when game crashes after online practice?
I can go on…😂

Today the game is a draft.
OMG, I know, right? No way I'm ready to pay more tomorrow. Oh wait...

Also when you get disconnected or people disappear from the grid at the start? Or when setup changes randomly? Or when game crashes after online practice?
I can go on…😂

Today the game is a draft.

It's EA. I've had 3 occasions since the start with disappearing grids, one set-up change that I hadn't expected and many online practice crashes before I discovered how to avoid it weeks ago.

I don´t know how It works here, but back In the day when I worked for the music Industry, and with a local promotor who did shows like The Rolling Stones and Queen just to name two as to not give away to much confidential Info, the way It worked was like this...

The promotor paid for the Infrastructure (stage, backline, lights, hotels, transport, catering, etc.), also did all the marketing, and press conferences, Interviews, VIP´s and other promotional and management duties, AND took care of finding sponsors who actually paid the bulk of the artist asking cache! Wont even mention how much a band like The Rolling Stones wants for their show! But I will say Is that the show tickets alone would not cover the expenses of such a show, that´s why there were sponsors!

So here we have the FIA, WEC, the ACO, 24h LeMans, we have Individual sponsors which you can see In the opening screen, we have car brandings, track exposure (rights) with more sponsors and the list goes on. Although this Is just a game, It´s still marketing, and It´s still licensing and all this works both ways! The sponsor's get exposure and prestige, and so does the promoter, In this case MSG. This Is how future projects are then done.

By this I am saying that not all the money comes from selling DLC´s, or online subscriptions! Game sold 90.1k copies (Gross revenue $2.6m), It´s not exactly pocket change, and If you consider that It´s based on a already made game engine (rF2), It´s not like they spent 5 years In the making from scratch with all the expenses that takes. Sure there Is some Investment In Infrastructure, but not even as half of that of a new project that still has to be drafted.

Now I do understand that somethings are not free, but If you have a hole In you´re hand then you will always end up needing more money! Maybe what you need Is to manage better you´re Investment and Income. I am not against the subscription plan IF It´s well thought of and usable, but leaning on It like a lifeline, well let´s just say you are just creating tension on that line.

What was said can all be wet paper, or not and I do hope for the best, but I am not as naïve as to think they need a lifesaver.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back