New patch - something strange happened to the GTEs

user.jl77

Note: I have since changed my mind about the patch. See here:

After the update, I jumped straight into the Ferrari GTE in Bahrain, loaded my custom setup and did a few test laps.

It feels like a different game to me. Understeer from hell in fast corners, oversteer from hell in slow corners. Totally unsettled feeling when accelerating even with high TC settings. The steering angle seems to be different too, it now feels like a bus, no longer like a Ferrari (but this could also be due to the ugly understeer). I'm constantly 3-4 seconds slower(!) than before the patch and don't understand the car at all. I don't even know where to start. Trail braking doesn't really work well anymore either, the brake feels strange (or different) too.
I then tried the Corvette - slightly better but overall the same.

I had a really good feeling for the GTEs before the patch - now it's just a whole mess.
Have they changed anything that affects custom setups? Of course, it would be annoying if I had to build the setups all over again - that was a lot of time.

Has anyone had similar experiences with this car / route combination?

Last edited:
Na, its not just the BOP. Just watched Michi Hoyers stream - according to him its a whole new tire model. Its not a bug, its a feature. Will probably need new setups and a lot of training again. Doesnt fit my driving style at all.

Definitely a bug, I text @Dan W on Discord, It's the temperatures, the operational temps are 94C for Softs, but the tires barely reaches 80C even with max camber and tire pressures after 4 laps (around 8 min)...

The on-screen tire graphical colors is now defined to be green around 75C, seems wrong to me, too low for this type of tires.

The car is undriveable, feels worst than iRacing,

Online Practice, Monza, Aston, 35C track temp, max camber, max pressure.

Monza new tire model (around 8 min):

Max pressure, camber -4.5/-3.5
Track temp: 35C

1718068115986.png

Le Mans old tire model (around 8 min):

Min pressure and camber
Track temp: 49C

1718068173243.png

Last edited:
same feeling here, the tyres didn´t hit the optimal temperature operation, and it´s like cold forever, 2 seconds slower in monza, but more than lap time, it´s the tyre feeling, you dont understant whats happening.

Definitely a bug, I text @Dan W on Discord, It's the temperatures, the operational temps are 94C for Softs, but the tires barely reaches 80C even with max camber and tire pressures after 4 laps (around 8 min)...

The on-screen tire graphical colors is now defined to be green around 75C, seems wrong to me, too low for this type of tires.

The car is undriveable, feels worst than iRacing,

Online Practice, Monza, Aston, 35C track temp, max camber, max pressure.

Monza new tire model (around 8 min):

Max pressure, camber -4.5/-3.5
Track temp: 35C

View attachment 2903

Le Mans old tire model (around 8 min):

Min pressure and camber
Track temp: 49C

View attachment 2904
Isn't the display for surface temps? Is the 94 deg ideal temp surface, rubber, or carcass?

Why max camber and pressure for your tests?

The tire temperature shown on the car display is the surface temperature, whereas the tire temperature shown on the HUD shows the internal temperature (carcass or rubber). Personally, I think you need to look at the HUD, not the logger app (including real-time), to determine if the tire is reaching its operating range.
As Lazza points out, what is the point of max air pressure and max camber angle?

Isn't the display for surface temps? Is the 94 deg ideal temp surface, rubber, or carcass?

Why max camber and pressure for your tests?

I was trying a way to reach 94C as before the update, as is recommended on the tires in game screen but it didn't make much difference in the end..

1718081403467.png

This screen were showing higher values before the update, I remember of reaching 100C here, now it's not reaching 80C, I believe it stills being the same Motec's "Rubber temp"...

1718082125608.png

Look at this, 3 months ago...

1718082447189.png

209F = 94C, tires graphic is green, not even possible to do this now...

Anyway, I need to compare apples to apples first, maybe I was hasty...

I will do a new run with the Aston in Le Mans, in same conditions to compare the Motec tires temps, this way I can confirm exactly if there's a problem.

Last edited:
I think with the the new update it feels more like driving a car. For example try to force understeer. The car now looses grip and it's much more predictable.
For me, it's exactly the opposite.

I don't know if it's just the tires or if the tires are the cause of all this: for me, the main problem is consistency. It almost feels like someone is constantly shifting the balance of the car at random while driving.

For example, when I take the first corner combination in Bahrain:
(I've probably driven that track a thousand times now, so I think I should know what I'm doing.)

If I now drive through 1st turn ten times, the car behaves ten times differently. Sometimes it handles perfectly, sometimes it understeers straight ahead, sometimes trail braking works, sometimes not. Sometimes I get around and out of the corner well, sometimes it oversteers like hell, sometimes the rear end suddenly breaks away when I accelerate and I suddenly fly off. It seems as if the limit is as thin as a razor blade.

This continues the whole track. In the end, I come out somewhere around 2:01... or 2:02 - previously 1:57... - because I simply can't build up any more confidence in the car, neither with "cold" nor with "warm" tires (whatever "warm" means at the moment).

Exactly what I loved so much about LMU before - that I could feel the limit, that I could improve lap by lap, that the car reacted in a predictable way - that's somehow gone now. Now the car just feels erratic and nervous - unless I drive slowly.

Something is different in Hypercars too.
I've driven mostly Hypercars in the last month and a half.
The Soft tyres in Hypercars are gone. No more!
Yesterday Bahrein, Ferrari 499P I was lapping 2.5 sec off my Soft tyre times.
The car spins under power very easily.
Tyre temp never really gets even remotely close to 100° (optimal).
I took the new BMW and in 15min I was lapping 1 sec lower than the Ferrari.
They touched the Hypercars tyre model too.
Now the Hypercars BoP make no sense.

Tyre temp never really gets even remotely close to 100° (optimal).
Almost looks like the issue we had in the very first weeks of the early access... I think it was fixed around Hotfix #5 (without being documented), we then got a different reading being displayed both in-car (for cars that have working onboard LCD screens) and in the game HUD. So back to square one ?

Almost looks like the issue we had in the very first weeks of the early access... I think it was fixed around Hotfix #5 (without being documented), we then got a different reading being displayed both in-car (for cars that have working onboard LCD screens) and in the game HUD. So back to square one ?
I'm not sure.
I've driven now the 499P in Bahrein for a practice session and the car is ok but way slower than Porsche and BMW.
Medium Tyres never get beyond 85° on the left then less on the right.
The car suffers hugely from instability under acceleration. If you go on power you spin, TC 8, 4, 10.
The BMW is another category, you go on power and ciao...even though the braking is better on the Ferrari IMO.
Thing is the Soft Tyres are missing now and anyone mostly used those. Car Setups were mainly for those tyres.
At least explain why the Soft are now gone.

Thing is the Soft Tyres are missing now and anyone mostly used those. Car Setups were mainly for those tyres.
At least explain why the Soft are now gone.
I haven't watched WEC much, but I gather from some comments on discord that Softs are only used for hyperpole, and night time at Le Mans. Sounds like they aren't actually available at other tracks, for the race, or they last such a short time no one bothers.

I haven't watched WEC much, but I gather from some comments on discord that Softs are only used for hyperpole, and night time at Le Mans. Sounds like they aren't actually available at other tracks, for the race, or they last such a short time no one bothers.
Just tell us why you pulled them out.
Secondly in LMU they lasted quite a lot. 1h of racing at least soo if they should last less then things need be fixed.

Just tell us why you pulled them out.
Secondly in LMU they lasted quite a lot. 1h of racing at least soo if they should last less then things need be fixed.
Me? I'm not staff.

Maybe they were wrong in LMU. I'm talking about what people have said about real life, which is what this is attempting to simulate.

I was talking bout LMU not yourself!
Also they've not been pulled out just on some tracks.
Le Mans track still has Soft tyres available.
But the handling is different, what was my setup at Le Mans with the 499P now produces spins out of chicanes super easily. Something in the longitudinal directios is pretty different. Traction on the Ferrari is really bad now.

It's all a matter of taste. But I've stopped feeling that extra grip that you don't know where it comes from. I love the new update and its results in times and on the track.
The times are more normal and we don't see differences of 5 seconds in Monza. We're all within 1 second. The tyres and braking have changed, now you have to work harder on the setup and not just anything is good enough to speed up braking. For me this is the way forward.
We will always have people crying, that's normal. But now everything is more coherent and the car no longer drives itself, the difficulty has increased. Which for me is ideal and the way forward in a simulator. Congratulations.

I don't know about you, but when I came and tested it yesterday at Spa and Monza at LMP2, I was terrified. I thought this was a completely new game, which I didn’t understand) Constant understeer, it feels like the stance is like a bus. I didn't like it, but maybe it will find its lover. But I don’t quite understand why it was necessary to change something that worked so well.

Back