LMU Personal feedback after 5 days - Early Access

AlexRS

Hi dev team and racing enthusiasts ! In order to help with the development and refinement of LMU, I am giving you my personal opinion and feedback on this early access.

Installation: LMU is a "light" simulation, approximately 17GB at present, so easy and quick to download and install. The 1st step guides us through the creation of our online account + choice of difficulty depending on our level of experience. One question though, how is the reconnection to our profile carried out? Is this linked to our steam account?

Setting up the controls: Equipped with a Fanatec DD2 and V3 pedals, I was pleasantly surprised to see that all my equipment was recognized and that the keys were pre-configured. I only needed to reverse the assignment of the brake and clutch controls.

Graphics settings: Equipped with an i7 10700k, 32GB of RAM and an RTX 2080 Ti on a 75Hz triple screen I find the optimization good. Vertical sync can largely correct lag in the menus. The FSA in x8 or x16 allows you to eliminate flicker and aliasing. FXAA is very ineffective in my opinion. To reduce the graphics load without loss of quality, post processing can be switched to low, I did not notice any difference and went from 80/90% GPU usage to 50/60%. Slight stuttering was present the first few days and seems to have since disappeared.
Otherwise all parameters are high or almost. The graphic rendering is beautiful, quite faithful in terms of colorimetry / contrast / shadows.

Audio: Good overall even if some cars seem to have a muffled sound like the Ferrarie GTE. Otherwise the soundscape is quite detailed, in the stands it's very lively, the gearbox noises, particles and others are well balanced. The vibrators are also very faithful to reality. A little tweaking but very good.

Triple screen FOV configuration: Many users have found themselves lost when setting up their triple screen because after activating the option in the settings they do not know the CTRL + SHIFT + = key combination. It's not ergonomic and I think a tab in the pause menu would be more ergonomic than a keyboard shortcut. On the other hand, once this shortcut is known, the adjustment is very simple and very clear.

View settings: It is nice to be able to adjust all the parameters of the cockpit view to our taste. Some like me appreciate a stable view that moves little, others like the effects of chins... .

The menus: Beautiful, simple, clear, effective. Navigation is a bit slow though. Too bad not to be able to admire the vehicles in a showroom by clicking on them for example.

HUD ingame: Clean, modern, simple, efficient, readable. Just missing the possibility of displaying technical data (FFB, server stability, etc.).

Force Feedback: Subject which is always very personal. We see that many parameters are available, this is both good because we can finely adjust it but at the same time it is sometimes complex because certain parameters are not explained or poorly explained and difficult to interpret. Overall it is very good but it would be interesting to look at the following points in my opinion:
- The prototypes have a very light FFB, not very communicative at FFB equal to an LMP or GTE
- The basic steering resistance force set to 10 as standard is too strong and causes “sticky” steering, particularly on GTEs. Forced to set it to 3 knowing that in my steering wheel no resistance has been added and my damper is set at 40%.
At 3 the force is good on the prototypes and LMP but still a little too strong on the GTEs which always have a steering that is a little too sticky and not direct enough.
- The steering torque adjustment, what it consists of and how to configure it is not very clear. In general, users apply the maximum power in nm of their base. Personally I put 25 (while the base is set not to exceed 12.5). the feeling and the amplitude of the effects seem good to me.
- The last parameter "applies a constant force" to be used in addition to the inversion of the FFB is misunderstood by many, we don't really know what it corresponds to. Personally I don't use it.
- FFB settings per car would be practical, the request has already been made in another post. In addition to a simple multiplier coefficient, it would be nice to be able to adjust it in DETAIL for each car for those who wish.

Physics: I'm not an engineer, neither in racing nor in simulation but for the first time (with RF2) WE HAVE TIRES!! We feel the grip, the limit and when we lose the grip it's not ice. You can actually drive the car, find the limit and play with it. The tire warm-up is good, a little quick on LMP2 I have the impression and the wear seemed a little quick in terms of feeling after 20 minutes of racing in GTE. The behavior on the vibrators is good, chassis / suspension very good.
Just the grip on bumps of the last corner of Sebring which seemed to me a little strange versus what we can see on the on-board camera IRL.
The physics of the LMP2 are excellent for me.
That of the GTE is good, just the steering a little sticky or heavy.
The prototypes, a problem was reported with cold grip due to the suspension system, they are for the moment sometimes strange to ride, very slippery and not very communicative when braking.

Miscellaneous bugs:
- Random crash, sometimes when starting a session
- Vehicle selection sometimes impossible
- Convenient server connection sometimes impossible
- Possibility of downshifting to neutral on the LMP2

Desired features:
- FFB adjustment per car (and detailed if possible)
- Collective qualifying sessions if possible for more realism, atmosphere and challenge.
- A showrom
- A replay menu
- A radar for racing
- a racing start procedure

Personal conclusion: Impressive potential and enough to "wake up" the world of simulation which has tended to stagnate for several years. a usable and very good quality early access seems to promise great things for the future.

This is obviously only my personal opinion and is shared in a constructive manner!

Last edited:
I’m sure you can have normal qualifying with all the cars of your class present. Just go into advanced settings in the race set up page and uncheck the “private qualifying” box.

Hi dev team and racing enthusiasts ! In order to help with the development and refinement of LMU, I am giving you my personal opinion and feedback on this early access.

Installation: LMU is a "light" simulation, approximately 17GB at present, so easy and quick to download and install. The 1st step guides us through the creation of our online account + choice of difficulty depending on our level of experience. One question though, how is the reconnection to our profile carried out? Is this linked to our steam account?

Setting up the controls: Equipped with a Fanatec DD2 and V3 pedals, I was pleasantly surprised to see that all my equipment was recognized and that the keys were pre-configured. I only needed to reverse the assignment of the brake and clutch controls.

Graphics settings: Equipped with an i7 10700k, 32GB of RAM and an RTX 2080 Ti on a 75Hz triple screen I find the optimization good. Vertical sync can largely correct lag in the menus. The FSA in x8 or x16 allows you to eliminate flicker and aliasing. FXAA is very ineffective in my opinion. To reduce the graphics load without loss of quality, post processing can be switched to low, I did not notice any difference and went from 80/90% GPU usage to 50/60%. Slight stuttering was present the first few days and seems to have since disappeared.
Otherwise all parameters are high or almost. The graphic rendering is beautiful, quite faithful in terms of colorimetry / contrast / shadows.

Audio: Good overall even if some cars seem to have a muffled sound like the Ferrarie GTE. Otherwise the soundscape is quite detailed, in the stands it's very lively, the gearbox noises, particles and others are well balanced. The vibrators are also very faithful to reality. A little tweaking but very good.

Triple screen FOV configuration: Many users have found themselves lost when setting up their triple screen because after activating the option in the settings they do not know the CTRL + SHIFT + = key combination. It's not ergonomic and I think a tab in the pause menu would be more ergonomic than a keyboard shortcut. On the other hand, once this shortcut is known, the adjustment is very simple and very clear.

View settings: It is nice to be able to adjust all the parameters of the cockpit view to our taste. Some like me appreciate a stable view that moves little, others like the effects of chins... .

The menus: Beautiful, simple, clear, effective. Navigation is a bit slow though. Too bad not to be able to admire the vehicles in a showroom by clicking on them for example.

HUD ingame: Clean, modern, simple, efficient, readable. Just missing the possibility of displaying technical data (FFB, server stability, etc.).

Force Feedback: Subject which is always very personal. We see that many parameters are available, this is both good because we can finely adjust it but at the same time it is sometimes complex because certain parameters are not explained or poorly explained and difficult to interpret. Overall it is very good but it would be interesting to look at the following points in my opinion:
- The prototypes have a very light FFB, not very communicative at FFB equal to an LMP or GTE
- The basic steering resistance force set to 10 as standard is too strong and causes “sticky” steering, particularly on GTEs. Forced to set it to 3 knowing that in my steering wheel no resistance has been added and my damper is set at 40%.
At 3 the force is good on the prototypes and LMP but still a little too strong on the GTEs which always have a steering that is a little too sticky and not direct enough.
- The steering torque adjustment, what it consists of and how to configure it is not very clear. In general, users apply the maximum power in nm of their base. Personally I put 25 (while the base is set not to exceed 12.5). the feeling and the amplitude of the effects seem good to me.
- The last parameter "applies a constant force" to be used in addition to the inversion of the FFB is misunderstood by many, we don't really know what it corresponds to. Personally I don't use it.
- FFB settings per car would be practical, the request has already been made in another post. In addition to a simple multiplier coefficient, it would be nice to be able to adjust it in DETAIL for each car for those who wish.

Physics: I'm not an engineer, neither in racing nor in simulation but for the first time (with RF2) WE HAVE TIRES!! We feel the grip, the limit and when we lose the grip it's not ice. You can actually drive the car, find the limit and play with it. The tire warm-up is good, a little quick on LMP2 I have the impression and the wear seemed a little quick in terms of feeling after 20 minutes of racing in GTE. The behavior on the vibrators is good, chassis / suspension very good.
Just the grip on bumps of the last corner of Sebring which seemed to me a little strange versus what we can see on the on-board camera IRL.
The physics of the LMP2 are excellent for me.
That of the GTE is good, just the steering a little sticky or heavy.
The prototypes, a problem was reported with cold grip due to the suspension system, they are for the moment sometimes strange to ride, very slippery and not very communicative when braking.

Miscellaneous bugs:
- Random crash, sometimes when starting a session
- Vehicle selection sometimes impossible
- Convenient server connection sometimes impossible
- Possibility of downshifting to neutral on the LMP2

Desired features:
- FFB adjustment per car (and detailed if possible)
- Collective qualifying sessions if possible for more realism, atmosphere and challenge.
- A showrom
- A replay menu
- A radar for racing
- a racing start procedure

Personal conclusion: Impressive potential and enough to "wake up" the world of simulation which has tended to stagnate for several years. a usable and very good quality early access seems to promise great things for the future.

This is obviously only my personal opinion and is shared in a constructive manner!
Don't overload the developers. It's May and realistically they still have over a year worth of work to make this realistic

Back